Join us for our upcoming conference to learn the basics of conservation, from doing it yourself to hiring the best in the business.
Conservation Savvy: From Expert to DIY
November 7—9, 2013
We all have treasured objects in our possession–whether they are personal belongings passed down from loved ones, or priceless museum artifacts. Proper care for these items present many challenges, ranging from a lack of resources to a lack of expertise.
Join us at the McFaddin-Ward House 2013 Conference where we will present a panel of experts to address common conservation conundrums to help you ensure that your belongings and artifacts are conserved for the next generation to enjoy.
ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
Conservation Savvy: From Expert to DIY has been designed to teach proper techniques for collections care through presentations, site visits, and panel discussions. The event will be held in Beaumont, Texas from November 7-9, 2013.
- Disaster Prevention
- Object-Specific How-Tos
- Conservation Prioritization and Techniques
- Question and Answer Sessions
- Dr. Karen Pope, Baylor University, Waco, TX
- Gary Smith, Dallas Heritage Village, Dallas, TX
- Barbara Applebaum, Applebaum & Himmelstein, New York, NY
- Stephen Koob, Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, NY
- Steven Pine, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, TX
- Cheryl Carrabba, Carrabba Conservation, Austin, TX
- Dreanna Belden, University of North Texas, Denton, TX
- Anne Zanikos, Zanikos Art Conservation, San Antonio, TX
- Winnie Trippet, Battleship Texas, La Porte, TX
- Pipp Gillette, Camp Street Cafe, Crockett, TX
Registration is now open. Please register by November 1, 2013.
To register, submit your information at the link below. The registration fee includes access to all conference programming and panel discussions, workshops, site visit and all meals, which include:
- Thursday evening dinner
- Continental breakfast on Friday and Saturday
- Coffee/tea breaks
- Friday luncheon and dinner
- Saturday boxed lunch
Register with a credit card online at the links below, or by check by clicking here.
(A $3.49 fee will be added to all online registrations.)
(Proof of enrollment in a qualifying institution required and a $2.24 fee will be added to all online registrations.)
The conference takes place at the MCM Elegante Hotel in Beaumont, Texas. The venue is featuring a special $89 rate. Contact the hotel for reservations at (409) 842-3600.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER, DR. KAREN POPE
We are pleased to announce Dr. Karen Pope as keynote for Conservation Savvy: From Expert to DIY. Dr. Pope will give insight into the fascinating and important field of conservation with an emphasis on conservation’s value to art history and viability as a career choice.
With a PhD in Art History (University of Texas 1981), Dr. Pope is a popular lecturer in and around Austin on diverse topics. With expertise especially in the art of Europe and America in the 19th and 20th centuries, she makes art history accessible and enjoyable for audiences of all levels.
- Dr. Pope is a full-time member of the Baylor University Art Department faculty, where she teaches art history courses in 19th-century European and American art, the priority of Baylor’s Allbritton Art Institute.
So don’t miss Conservation Savvy: From Expert to DIY! Be sure to save the dates, November 7 – 9, 2013 for solutions to your conservation challenges-no matter your budget size!